Keeping my pet safe from garden dangers
If your pet (pet) or any others are allowed to access your backyard, There are some things to be aware of to protect them.
A variety of plants, both indoors as well as outdoors, pose a risk for animals and could sometimes cause fatality. Since there are so numerous species of plants that can be toxic to various species of animals, It is recommended to consult your vet before allowing your pet to be around any plant or consult a reliable resource (such as the US, the ASPCA’s poisonous Plants List).
Cats are particularly at risk for the lily plants (including the Easter Lily, Day lily, Tiger lily, Japanese show lily, and Rubrum lily). They are highly toxic to cats, and you must seek immediate vet treatment when you suspect that your cat was exposed to the flower (even if you did not see your cat interact with it). Even a small amount of contact (such as rubbing flowers and then touching their fur) could be fatal.
Stones of fruit
It’s not just about the plant – dogs (and occasionally cats) are known to take in fruits, berries, or seeds that fall from trees. Consuming these could cause significant intestinal obstructions or blockages that can lead to death. Some stones, berries, and seeds can also contain harmful compounds that can be harmful to animals. It is possible to ensure your pet’s safety by taking away all stones, fruits, or seeds you find in your garden (or make sure that there aren’t potentially hazardous trees, if needed).
Many common fertilizers could be toxic or even fatal if consumed by animals. Fertilizers typically contain a mix of substances, certain of which are poisonous, and could also contain insecticides, herbicides, and fungicides. They can also have a broad variety of potential dangers to animals. The effects could cause the following signs of clinical illness in animals (but do not limit themselves to them): diarrhea, vomiting, excessive salivating, stomach pain, and lethargy.
In most cases, especially when only a small amount is consumed, the symptoms will disappear within 24 to 48 hours after assistance from a vet. However, the situation could be more difficult in the event that a large quantity of fertilizer has been consumed or if the fertilizer mix is made up of toxic ingredients like insecticides (e.g., disulfoton) or a lot of potentially harmful elements such as iron. If you suspect that your pet has eaten fertilizer, you should seek immediate veterinary attention when you suspect that your pet has consumed fertilizer.
A specific type of mulch for gardens, also known as Cocoa Mulch, may be extremely toxic to animals, including cats and dogs. It’s a by-product from the production of cocoa and chocolate, and it contains “theobromine,” a compound that shares the same characteristics as caffeine and is harmful to dogs as well as other animals. Cocoa Mulch isn’t believed to be found on the shelves in Australia (it tends to be more popular in other countries). Still, it is important to be aware of it, particularly since the scent is extremely appealing to dogs. They can take extreme measures to find it, including climbing over fences or tearing open bags!
Rat and snail, mouse and snail baits
Rat and mice baits are a frequent cause of poisoning in pets. The baits are designed to be appealing to mammals, and therefore, attempts to stop your pet from getting access to baits (such as by placing them in difficult-to-reach areas) are usually unsuccessful. Slug or snail poisoning from baits is common among companion animals and can be quite severe or even fatal.
Do not store or use the products in areas where animals are likely to come across these products. You can safeguard your pet by replacing poison baits with other alternatives that are more humane in their ways of controlling pests, which are safe to use in your garden and home.
As well as keeping an eye out for these common dangers in the garden, if you have an animal, it is possible to protect them by keeping them safe on your property and having access to a secured and secure outdoor space.